Pages

Friday 8 July 2016

#WCW - Venus Williams: Triumph in Adversity

Hi there,


Trust you're doing great. Today, I'm blogging about my woman crush this Wednesday- Venus Williams. The 36 year old veteran tennis player qualified yesterday for the 2016 Wimbledon Ladies Singles semifinal, and that single piece of good news made my day yesterday and kept me going today. Why, right? I'd let you know:




Five years ago (2011), Venus was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome - an incurable autoimmune disease that results in fatigue, joint pain and muscle pain. For an athlete, this spelt doom and the media were already writing her off and predicting her retirement. And really, that could have been a valid reason to retire and hang up her racket. But not Venus.


The tennis star became a vegan and with the help of nutritionists, doctors and physiotherapists, started working her way back to fitness again. She lost a lot of first round matches in tennis tournaments along the way, which reinforced the call for her retirement from media men and women. But Venus ignored them and kept on practicing hard. The road has been tough for her (she's much slower now than before and has to majorly rely on experience to beat her opponents, she has also had some very near-win matches which she lost), but the result of not giving up is that after six years, she is in the semifinal of a grand slam tournament again!


I am inspired by Venus Williams' resurgence. It has taught me a lot about not giving up even when the odds are stacked against me, to put in my best regardless of what the outcome may eventually be. And I end with this her very famous quote:

"You have to believe in yourself when no one else does - that makes you a winner right there."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your sincere comments will be highly appreciated, please add them here